View Single Post
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Let me rephrase the whole question: Can you (or anyone else) describe how the whole MeeGo app thing will work?
Much more straightforward. And is this how I understand it, for good or bad:

Vendors become service providers, which is what they want.

Much like how Nokia has Ovi, vendors will provide their own stores (which could be set up however they wanted) tailored to their own devices. The concern you share is shared by me, but I suspect that they'll move this way regardless and push against Google.

I suppose that if the first device will be introduced in a couple of days, this should be already considered and decided by Nokia/MeeGo people (since they don't seem to discuss policy matters with the community).
And Nokia's solution, regardless of architecture, will be Ovi. MeeGo is almost completely detached from the "store" concept aside from specifying what a "compliant application" and a "compliant device" are, as well as providing an upstream to base a device on.

I finally understand why Google went with Java for Android.
Java wouldn't really resolve this issue, IIRC that was chosen mostly due to its popularity in the mobile space already. Google's focus has been on keeping themselves in the game,

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: