View Single Post
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Congratulations! (But are you really interested in only developing apps for one platform? If you, for example, wanted to port one of your apps to iOS, would that mean you'd drop all support for Android? I'm just kinda surprised at the implicit statement here that developing for one platform means not developing for any other platform.)
I have just stated that I'm talking from experience, I used to be an N900 developer, but as the phone has not fulfilled my needs, I have sold it and purchased one that does, For that simple reason, and some others, I do not develop for other OSs such as Maemo.
It is not directly related to my opinion, or the points I have named out, but more to conveying that I am indeed speaking from experience.
If my application is successful enough for me to start porting it to another OS, i'll probably quit my 40 Hours a week daytime job, and have time and money to purchase other phones and develop for more then one platform.

So, you are going to just assume that your app works fine on both Android phones and on Android tablets?
Sorry Sir, but you have not payed attention to what I originally wrote,
Originally Posted by eitama
The problem of having to take into consideration multiple form factors and added features, in the essence of peripherals, is a common one to all modern smartphone OSs. Android / Meego / And surprisingly, even apple, have this problem.
Obviously this needs to be tested, but it's not such a hard process, and you can do it all on 1 device, for example, buy a tablet, and constrain your entire UI in a 320x240 frame, see if it works, change size in the emulator.. etc.

What amount of RAM are you targeting, and will you warn users of devices with less than optimal RAM that you haven't tested on their devices?
This depends on your application, if it is well written, and not heavy, then no, you don't have to test it everywhere, just on 1 low-end device.
If it is indeed a power hungry application, you will face the same problem on all platforms that feature multiple brand / hardware setups.

True, Google has done everything right for creating a superb environment for development, as one would expect from the braniacs at that company. But I just wouldn't be so complacent about just assuming any given Android app will be a "write-once, run-everywhere" experience...
The line needs to be drawn somewhere, if your application has the following requirements : atleast 600MHz CPU, 20MB free RAM, Rear Camera, Audio, and GPS API, you can easily write once, and expect the application to run on a handful of phones, from different vendors, with different architecture, providing that the dalvik VM was optimized for each architecture.
With MeeGo, unless the SDK/IDE provides for, this won't be possible.

There is a reason why Android Market and Apple appstore are so successful. They are dead easy to use, and do extend the programmers reach to a great portion of consumers, with little effort.
If meego does the same, in one way or another, Kudos, and Great!
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Last edited by eitama; 2011-01-22 at 15:39.