View Single Post
*cough*
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=68863

Although nobody replied to mine Could a mod please merge my thread with this one? Thanks!

Originally Posted by noetus View Post
If they wanted full control over the device, wouldn't they have been better off choosing a maemo device? The n900 would have fit the bill better, surely?
imo Maemo5 and the N900 would be much too erratic for this type of mission. once it's up there you can't hard reset or flash the handset lol! Also, depending on the communication channels, it's possibly better written or mature in Android/Java. Ofcourse Android phones also have a magnetometer which is missing on the N900 - do they still work far out in space? I can imagine if it does work it could be part of the feedback for the satellite/system stabilizing itself. They would also take into account RAM/memory usage and power/battery issues.

My favorite part of the article is:
"The open source nature of the software is very exciting because you can see how further down the line, once we've got the phone working in orbit, we could get people to develop apps for it," Mr Liddle added.
I love the idea of writing applications for smart phones in space! imagine having a space Qt SDK

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-01-24 at 17:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post: