View Single Post
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Seriously?

Regardless of reality, that argument is invalidated by the most basic logic. Just because something has not been done, does not mean it cannot be done.
Two (well, three) problems.

1. The predictions are based on how native compilers worked ten years ago and assume that they won't *qualitatively* be different in the future. From .NET and LLVM implementation we already know this is not true, so your baseline what you need to get better than IS moving upwards.

2. Occam's razor works against you. You know that the Java-ish VM approach has both advantages and disadvantages. There has been a tanker-loads of money sunk into optimizing it by Sun, IBM and Google. Where this turns into occam's razor is that 5-10 years later, it's still objectively slower, so either the perceived benefits are not as huge or as easily implementable as thought 10 years ago, or everybody at Sun/IBM/Google is an idiot. Your pick.

3. This 'compiler/VM/interpreter technology advances will make all current languages obsolete' is a repeating thing. I remember when lisp/prolog were the next big thing. Just imagine, you don't need to define procedures how tasks are done, so in theory a good interpreter can make a better native code path than a human programmer ever could ! The key here is - in theory. Academic papers will be happy to point out corner cases in which alternative approaches beat out the incumbent one, but we're not in the business of academic papers - software development is engineering, and engineers have the tools of today to build the applications of today.

Disclaimer (again): I was a Java guy, but nowadays I do C++ (w Qt) by day and Python by night.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: