View Single Post
I'm not surprised if they killed off the meeGo Harmattan device. it was intended as a transitional device/software platform. It was intended to be a mass market end-user product. If Nokia couldn't finish this "step 5" in time, than there was no point. Releasing an unfinished device again for linux geeks was never the plan for this product.

Also The netbook UX for Meego is supposed to be "on live support" (= killed), so in a sense the transition from Moblin and Maemo is complete: both original project have been scrapped and they start something new.

you can't develop a platform in 1 year time, so i think the projection of having 1 MeeGo device by the end of the year could very well be accurate.
Until than nokia needs a new higher end smartphone. That could be WP7 powered or Android. I think WP7 is more likely because it doesn't compete in low-end smartphones with Symbian and because it is different from the Android devices on the market.

I do hope that MeeGo isn't totally scrapped, because i don't think WP7 could ever provide the computing flexibility that a full linux distribution does. And Windows tablets also are a long way away.

than again Ubuntu is supposedly also working on a tablet device for the end of the year. If Nokia doesn't provide a full linux distribution on my gadgets, maybe Ubuntu will.

Last edited by Bernard; 2011-02-09 at 13:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post: