View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Oh, sure, I absolutely agree that Microsoft is out-executing their competitors; there's a reason why the company has been so successful for so long! But, in my opinion, Microsoft has always been at its best when it acquires a system from outside the company and adds that magic "Microsoft touch" to marketing it. From the very beginning, when Gates first purchased that CP/M clone and rebranded it "MS-DOS", to succeeding major products like Powerpoint, Visio, SQL Server, and Internet Explorer, a huge number of Microsoft's best products have been acquired from outside the company.

Microsoft also knows how to successfully poach talent: they managed to nab an entire team of VMS developers away from Digital Equipment Corporation to create Windows NT, the operating system that eventually replaced the Windows 9X line and still forms the core of the Windows personal computer OS today. (I seriously doubt that DEC could have ever successfully penetrated the personal computer market in anything like the way Microsoft did, even if they had been given the exact same product from those developers...)

Honestly, Microsoft has been at its most spectacular when applying its marketing know-how to creative products acquired externally, and suffered its worst defeats when attempting to build products entirely in-house. So yeah, I do believe that Microsoft has some sort of a problem with technological innovation; at the very least, the true talent in the company lies elsewhere.
You seem quite sure that they didn't acquire their market dominance through NDA's, threats of pulling stock from shelves, strangling contracts and inventing clever legal maneuvers and loopholes to exploit over the years--which, ironically, seem to me to be backfiring lately? Weren't they kind of famous for that through most of the 80's and 90's?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: