View Single Post
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The difference between a flashlight application for WP7 or Ovi on the one hand and Google on the other is the amount of data they have about me... and the way Google collects it without telling me.
I don't know but maybe the bing is doing the same thing
Governments wouldn't get these answers from any flashlight application (that I don't use anyway) or from a particular Ovi service that stores location info from pictures I took.
That was an example. There are lots of free apps that collects your personal data in the store(Compared to the paid version.) Although government might never ask any of them for the data they had collected(or maybe the data is not critical anyway), this counts as an privacy exposure too.
If that sounds paranoid to you because, well, there's nothing you'd have to hide and you're online profile is too mainstream to be of any interest: Yes, today. But what about tomorrow? Imagine you live in Egypt and a year ago, you'd have said: "Nothing I have to worry about, I'm a good citizen! Not only do I have no connections to the opposition, quite on the contrary, every trace I might leave online proves I'm an active supporter of Mubarak and his regime. Hey, records about me could even prove that I turned two activists of the opposition over to the secret service!" - Now. Fine. Times change. We're not so sure if this is true for your data that's stored by Google.
In this matter you are right. This will be really annoying if someone manages to store and abuse your private data that is critical for you and or the others.
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
That chart shows that OS X plus Linux makes up about ten percent of the desktop PC world. That's a heck of a lot of people using Unix, and this is counting all the machines used to browse the web, not just the ones sold recently...
The chart shows that the Linux+Mac users are less than Windows Vista users.But,let's hope the thing you said is true.

Last edited by govprog; 2011-02-16 at 11:44.