View Single Post
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
Hi, I'm trying to decide if a n900 could be a good device for me to buy in the next weeks.

At the moment I have a nokia x6 16gb by vodafone, gave me from my job. I have not a data plan, so I connect only by wireless (in my city I have it at home, at job, and on public buses).

I use it mostly for:
1) phone calls
2) phone sms
3) text-book reader
3) music player
4) image viewer
5) web browsing (opera mostly)
6) rss reader (greader by google)
7) twitter / some chat with nimbuzz
8) view videos (rarely, but sometimes...)
9) very short note taking on way
10) maps and gps with ovimpas (I don't have a car, so I used it very few times, mostly to locate some address)
11) contacts, task and calendar. I syncronize that with iSync on mac osx at job.

Things I'd like to improve:

1) note/texts: I used to write short stories, article and so on on my sonyth55, but since I have the x6 it's almost impossible to write long texts, 'cause I find very annoying to see so few lines of text when the virtual keyboard is on screen. I Write almost exclusively on subway and on bus, while I go or come back from job.

2) image viewing: I have a lot of folders and a lot of images, some Gb maybe. The x6 has the bad habit to scan all the memory before to open the gallery. This process last several second (around minutes...) before I can have access to them. More, the device OS use own folders and not the folder in the memory. I have to load on the device a folder of images, then go to gallery, create a folder with the same name and move all the images from root gallery to the new folder. Very very annoying. I am happy with the screen and the visualizing application, but the exploring and organization is a real pain.

3) ram and processor. I am not an expert, but I think that I really need more power and surely more ram. I usually can have one or two program using at the same time (more telephone obviously). But not if the software are some heavy. For example, if I use Opera, I cannot have nothing more. I'd like a little more of multitasking permitted from the hardware.

4) More versatility with the home screen. I would like to have task, calendar meetings, and so on more some widgets, but x6 doesn't have widgets like n97 or n8/7. So if I put task, I cannot have contacts bar and so on. I could do it with some applications but they make the device really slow for other normal tasks)

5) Connection with my mac. I like I can use it like a mass memory with just the usb cable, but I'd like a simple native way to browse my macintosh with wifi. (I can do it with bluetooth with a third part application)

6) I really would like to have USB host (OTG?) and it would be perfect also to have the possibility to connect a lan cable (sometimes useful travelling)

7) I'd like also to can view videos and movies without need to convert them before.

Surely I am forgetting more things, but probably these things are the most important. I think I could buy a n900 around 200/250 euros here. Is this device the right for me and my needs?

I am a little worry for the future of the device (especially now with Nokia and Microsoft last events). I read the forum the last weeks but I'd like some opinions and advices.

I didn't try even android so maybe I should /could go with some other device like Desire-z or Motorola Milestone, or something so (I am thinking especially about the physical keyboard).
I have not a big budget (I have a 5 months old daughter) so maybe also a symbian device like nokia c6 or (not now) a nokia e7 could be the answer. I really don't know.

What to do?

Thank you in advance for the help.

--
Anjin