View Single Post
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There's always a modified hosts to stop it before you download it, and the ad-blocking
The first thing I did was setup an adblocking host file. Unfortunately that's a bit high on the crude-o-meter and in this case the hosts file seemed unable to block stuff that quite clearly was present in the file. Most notably the rather large ad on the right hand side of Reddit.com. Oddly enough this method had always worked with Opera under OS2007 (Although doing it with Opera raised another set of problems that I'm pleased I don't have to run into again).

I'm happy enough with Privoxy so far though. At the moment Eurogamer seems to be the only site on my regular browse list that has this rather weird problem so I'm not terribly worried for now if I can't solve it.

It does concern me somewhat that Microb has no method of blocking images from user definable sites. In my opinion this is a very important feature on a system that an awful lot of people will be using from low bandwidth connections. Heavy ad use on websites is a big killer when it comes to the mobile web experience. It would be nice to have a way built into the system of blocking content that's not wanted. Either through a simple blocklist system built into Microb by default or by someone porting something more powerful like Adblock plus.

While privoxy works it's definately overkill for what the average user needs and if the user does need to change something it's going to be almost impossible to give them support here on this forum if they don't have the technical knowledge to enable root access and hand edit config files. I have no problem with it. I went straight in and enabled access to the web configuration tools but even I have to struggle to figure out what to turn on and off. As mentioned earlier by default this config of Privoxy turns all cookies into sessions cookies which is going to confuse the hell out of some people

We definately need something simpler to use, configure and maintain. I could always use Firefox on my eeePC (Running Ubuntu and with full access to my BTDUN connection) but the form factor of my N800 (And soon my N810) is far superior for a quick surf while waiting for a train

And I'm sure we're all for improving the mobile web experience

The Following User Says Thank You to Tuxedosteve For This Useful Post: