Thread: Amazon Kindle
View Single Post
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
You're mistaken if you think that these devices offer "desktop-quality browsing".

eInk display technology is very slow. But it's clear in daylight and uses no power to maintain the image.

It's wonderful for eBook reading, but very poor for web browsing.
When I say "desktop-quality browsing", I'm referring to two things: The size of the display, in pixels, and the applications.

The Nokia tablets offer desktop-quality browsing, whereas mobile phones offer a cut-down rendition of browsing because of small screens and incomplete browser software (no Flash or AJAX).

Actually screen quality is an additional issue that I hadn't taken into account. I wasn't aware of the eink technology, so that sounds like the Kindle really is little more than a specific tool for reading ebooks.

Incidentally, my two cents on ebook readers (above all the obvious points, such as that people LIKE paper books) -- something that's plastic is unpleasant to hold for long periods. One nice thing about paper is that it soaks up your hand sweat/grease. Paper is much more organic and we like that.