View Single Post
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Happy Thanksgiving. We all love our Nokia Internet Tablets, but if you are anything like me you are less infatuated with the wired, earbud headset that came with the system.

If I only used my N800 as a personal media player I would simply use my favorite wired headphones, however I use my N800 for VOIP as much, if not more than, music and video. VOIP is the primary motivation for me buying the N800. I admit to being disappointed when I found out the N800 had no support for BlueTooth HSP (no real BT audio support at all unless you do the xterm hack for Kagu described a few weeks back).

Whether it is for echo cancellation, or privacy, speakerphone mode isn't the best for VOIP on the N800. (I have learned that RTCOMM has no echo cancellation, so using the N800 without a headset is out of the question with that app.) As mentioned, the N800 & OS2007 has no bluetooth headset capability so I am forced to use a wired headset (headset with microphone, not headphone--no mic).

I am sick of using the N800's earbuds. What follows is MY cure.

Here are photos showing proper disassembly the Nokia headset pendant. Unsoldering the earbuds from the printed circuit board and soldering replacement headphones is not particularly difficult, but having some soldering experience helps. You'll need a small phillips head screwdriver, a soldering pencil (~25watts) and a soldering tip that comes to a fine point (file it to a point if necessary), some fine silver solder, a match or butane lighter, and an exacto knife.

I used RCA "E.clipz" for my transplant because I have used them in the past on MP3 players. They sound good and fit over the ear nice.

FWIW- The results exceeded my expectations !! I encourage anyone thinking about doing this to go forward. I hope my photos demystify the process. Anyone wanting to see the uncompressed photos can send me an ITT private message and I'll get you the full size photos. Enjoy. M5
Attached Images

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-11-23 at 09:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post: