View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
It appears that if you would add the option of embedding the language voice string(eg. mb-en1, mb-us2); then user can setup espeak+mbrola himself and he would have a better sounding voice for navigation.
First off: YOU ARE AWESOME!
Thanks for the find on how to augment espeak with these alternate voices. I'd thank you multiple times if I could, as the default voice tends to grate on me a bit.

As for setting the voice for modrana, you can just change the default setting for espeak. For example, to use us1 (the female voice) after following your download instructions above, simply type:

Code:
cd /opt/espeak/data/voices
mv default default.old
ln -s mb/mb-us1 default
I now have ModRana (and all my apps that use espeak) using a soft female voice with a gentle US accent. Very nice!

FYI: In reply to something someone wrote about festival. Yes, festival is there for the N900, but it's a direct compile of the N820 port, and is slightly busted on the N900. If you tell it to make an output wav file, it works just fine. But if you let it default to piping it out to the system speakers, it sounds like a fly buzzing. (Think super-sped-up alien on the old Star Trek series.)

Last edited by woody14619; 2011-04-26 at 05:50.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: