Thread: mbarcode
View Single Post
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by dragly View Post
The change from mbarcode-core 1.0.2-6 to 1.0.2-7 is a change to the libs section to avoid having the core package show up side-by-side with the mbarcode (meta) package in the package manager. I tried to use user/hidden for this, but it failed, so I guess we're stuck with libs if we want to promote it to Extras testing.

The dependencies changed because it became a blocker when pushing to Extras testing. Now the dependencies work this way:
mbarcode depends on mbarcode-core and some useful, well-working plugins. This package contains nothing.
mbarcode-core depends only on libraries needed for the executable. This package contains the executable, icons, etc.
All plugins, usually named mbarcode-plugin-*, depend on mbarcode-core. These contain plugin files.

mbarcode-plugins-all is discontinued and may safely be removed.

There is just one problem as I see it with the above solution, and that is that mbarcode-core probably won't be removed by the package manager if you uninstall mbarcode. I'm not sure if this is true, but its a minor problem and could in the worst case be fixed by putting mbarcode-core back into the user/* sections - thus making it visible in the application manager again.
mbarcode-core will get removed if all packages depending on it are to be removed and if it's installed automatically, i.e. as a dependency of another package. If it's installed manually it will stay installed even if all packages depending on it will be removed. Therefore it's usually a good idea having a metapackage depending on several other packages to bundle a useful application. But you should keep in mind that the user might want to install a subset of your propagated packages only. I do so. Therefore I uninstalled mbarcode (which indeed left mbarcode-core on the system as plugins still depending on it) and everything works fine.

BTW: are you also responsible for plugins? I'd like to change some details in webrequest plugin but I see it's a single binary without possibility to configure. Would it be a big load of work to make this plugin configurable? In detail I'd like to change the order of queryable websites and I'd like to add / change the search string.

Thansk in advance!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post: