View Single Post
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Funny, I guess I'm lucky or just have tons of penitence since I still use mine as my main phone daily.

No Longer:
Webbrowser: can still make something happen but it's really a crap shoot and not dependable. but now I need, the built in browser, opera, fennec to get to what little sites work. Mentalist Traceur, would love a set by set on how to compile openssl on the device .

Skype: was sad to see the protocol eventually change and they kick most of the old one off the network. Especially since the n900 was one if not the first to use that platform on a mobile device.

Media player: I do watch something when needed, but it's usually to slow or choppy to view 720+ type videos anymore. I remember watching full movies on this thing ... crazy. So just short video sometime that ppl send.

VNC: I used to use this every day to remote into my home machine was so great. But once I got a Hires display the n900 can't keep up . Miss that one, was very convenient if I needed something off a machine.

Camera: I still use it when needed. But I need like 3 minute for it to get to the point of being able to shoot. Sllloooww. So not really spontaneous shooting anymore, only when absolutely needed. But it can still take a good pic with some effort.

pidgin: after AIM such down little use for it anymore keep it for hoping to get heysmsm running well and emergency.

Still:
Daily driver still with built in apps are Phone calls, txt, music (community), viewing images, pdf reader, alarms, terminal, contacts, calendar (community). Still using, maps work good enough when needed. Also for streaming music I just can copy and edit the config list with channels I find and play on the desktop.

Apps that make it still useful and use on a regular in no order: Convert is awesome, evince when needed, cowboy, coney, xournal, fm radio is great when your in a new place, leafpad as my goto editor, MyPaint, omweather (on it's last db), password manager, Angelmeter, firebox, mBarcode reader, VU meter, VN call history, TimeWorkshop, mobile hotspot, SMS (fmms), HXMTracker & eCoach (heart rate), vlcremote, Open media player, xchat IRC, sync evolution, owncloud, pebble watch with maebble, truecrypt.

It's can be annoying sometimes, mostly from speed slow downs. But Still love this device, especially the size ... it's just not in your way even though it's thick. Also random config corrupts can sometime be annoying if you didn't back up properly.

I think I can last a few more years pending it still works on US network in 2021 . But we are in a great state of development currently with all the distress of mobile linux now.

So I would see myself going over to maemo-leste, mobian, sailfish, maybe ubports eventually. The great part is with sailfish you could running anything in a vm it looks like. I think the linux phone future is looking bright.

Now if only fx would make a smaller version of there pro1, maybe called pro1s (s for small, sexy, special )

x

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post: