Thread: mbarcode
View Single Post
Ok, so I've done some more work on mbarcode recently. The code is in Garage project maemo-barcode if anyone's interested.

The Fremantle version in Extras-devel is a couple of iterations further on than the Diablo version (also in Extras-devel), but that's just because I've not got round to changing my sb target to check that it builds. Will do that this evening.

So current feature set:
  • Autofocus (N900) - automatically focuses when you click "Scan", also if you tap the video image while it's running.
  • Rotation support (N900)
  • Decodes 1D and QR codes using zbar (thanks tteribe/derf for adding QR support) and Datamatrix codes using libdmtx.
  • Displays the decoded data (in an edit box so you can copy it if needed) and tries to open an application to handle the data. This is mainly important for 2D barcodes which might contain vCards, telephone numbers, URLs, email addresses, etc.
  • For 1D codes, I have a very rough and ready Amazon webscraper in place, but really I could do with more data sources (there are some commented out in the code in web.c) and better parsing of the HTML data (not my area of expertise).

What I would really like is to use Amazon Web Services (AWS), but again I'm not an expert and the example source I've seen is all !C code. Any help gratefully appreciated.

So sometimes the app will tell you it's looking up a barcode, but nothing will happen - either due to no weblink, or the parser failing.

Things to improve/add:
  • Lots of compiler warnings, should clean the code up and get rid of these.
  • AWS support.
  • The code has a partially working database system (in which one can save and search for barcodes for e.g. your CD collection, etc.), but I've commented it out for the time being as it's not fully working. Get this working!
  • For a given product produce page which shows detailed information and reviews and prices at various retailers (AWS would help greatly with these items)
  • Add support for further 2D barcode payloads - please suggest any you think it doesn't handle, code appreciated too
  • Add support for installing an application from a 2D barcode - I've got some commented out code in there atm which will allow you to encode the contents of an .install file in e.g. a QR code (QR code decoding is much faster than datamatrix, so is preferable) and after decoding pass this onto the app manager.
  • improve performance of libdmtx, or preferably move the functionality to zbar (to avoid multiple image processing steps).

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: