View Single Post
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I understand why you'd want to start from scratch, but that doesn't stop you forking/integrating any parts you're missing without relying on the original project. It's all GPLv3 after all. It's meant to be shared.

We do it together round here after all
Before i start working on a feature I mostly both check Smokus Pebble and Pebbles libpebble2 to get a general idea about how things should work, if there are any pitfalls et cetera. So it's not that I copy/paste over the code of Smokus Pebble, but I do get inspired by it.

Originally Posted by TomJac View Post
Good to hear,
have you been able to get new watchfaces on the watch? I don't really use the watch right now again because the default watchface is just so plain boring and I would like to use some of the more colorful ones from the store. It would be great if you have some fix for this!
This actually consists of three things. App store, making the app known to the Pebble, and being able to send over the app when the Pebble requests it.

The last thing is part of the "unlimited apps" feature. As not all apps are constantly available on the Pebble itself. Sometimes the Pebble needs to download the app from the phone when you start the app. And this is something which I implemented last week and thus works already.

Making the app known to the Pebble shouldn't be that much work. Because it just means sending a single command to the Pebble to insert the apps information into a database on the Pebble. After that you're able to start the app and the Pebble will then automatically request the app from the phone. And getting the apps information can be done by reading the installation file, and is already possible.

Adding support for the app store is much more work. As you need to log in before being able to use the store, and I also like to build it "the right way". Smokus app just loads the website and uses that to browse the apps. But it's also possible to load an app listing and manually show it, which means it can be build using a custom UI and thus be Sailfish like, instead of just showing the website.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobertMe For This Useful Post: