View Single Post
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The day someone comes pointing to duplicated, pointless or missing features then we will be able to have a proper technical discussion.
As someone else posted earlier in this thread: Isn't it too late then? Just look at libqt4-maemo5. A lot of things done there are Fremantle-only so Qt4.6-powered apps can be released for the N900 in a timely manner. Harmatten is supposed to be the release where stuff is done right. I as a developer have accepted the fact that Fremantle is this transition release, mostly based on GTK/Hildon and landscape view with portrait mode and first-class Qt support coming as additions later. Harmatten is the first real Qt-based release that better be enabling hassle-free cross-platform development (at least including Harmatten and S60).

So the API has to be gotten right for Harmatten. No developer wants a third, yet again incompatible API for Harmatten+1. If we wait for SDKs to come out, it will be to late to change such fundamental things (at least for Harmatten). History proves this: the Fremantle SDK still ships with an ancient Python and a broken (!) gdb. Even the Maemo5 Qt team inside Nokia can't get the SDK team to ship an updated gdb that will work with Qt apps.

The Symbian and Maemo teams have announced their plans for the future. If what Mark Wilcox writes is correct, we will have similar but incompatible APIs for Symbian and Harmatten. Now, why would I need a SDK to be able to talk about that? So I can check for myself that my Harmatten app just produces compile errors on S60? Obviously we need to talk about this right now and influence the proper people so that no SDK is ever released publicly with those incompatible APIs. In the alternative, a simple statement by a Nokia representative that of course API compatibility is a top priority and is being worked on as we speak will go a long way. Or am I missing something?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sjaensch For This Useful Post: