View Single Post
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
yup...

And as far as the love goes between broadcom and linux goes?
brrr...
that is a frosty frosty love...
usually only seen between couples who split UN- amicably and where neither of the couple can move out.
brrr...

Frankly...
I am incredibly surprised at 'law's success with a tablet with a broadcom chip and getting the wifi to work on ANY linux distro.

Me...
I don't personally have ANY device with a broadcom chip in it... anymore.

So yeah...
When looking for a new device and you want linux on it..hell anything on it...
Do your due diligence ...
and make sure the device DOESN'T contain a broadcom chip...
(unless you are a masochist ...that is...)
Confirmed!
Just struggled a few evenings (spare time is rare) to get rid of my last Windoze compi and install Linux on an old Asus laptop.
WiFi (broadcom) just did not want to run. Neither with Ubuntu chosen driver (b43) nor with proprietary driver (wl). Solution for me: new install WITHOUT proprietary stuff checked, (sudo apt-get remove b43-fwcutter bcmwl-kernel-source,) sudo apt-get install b43- fwcutter firmware-b43-installer, reboot

But to find the correct solution/commands ... oh dear!

--
now I only need to find solution (ubuntu14) why the computer keeps running but shows only a black screen after the screensaver hit after selected time. As soon as the screen blanks there is no reaction to mouse/keyboard/anything but the power button?
(and I thought Linux is user/noob friendly )

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2017-01-07 at 12:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: