View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I must say I am quite dissatisfied with the new release, but I realize that it's just a preview/pre-release version, so it's early to jump to conclusions.

I was looking forward to following things in the new UI:
  • Landscape support
  • Controls in the Events view page
  • Three-finger-swipe to change volume
  • Being able to pin one app to the Partner space

None of those things are present in this version, so not much to be excited about.

There are some minor annoyances, that I expect to be solved soon:
  • Phone wakes up very slowly after double tap
  • No 'swipe to lock the phone' on the homescreen
  • Weird covers for some apps - Gallery cover looked good before, but now it looks like some old Microsoft Surface showcase.
  • Unless you have new notification, you cannot go to the Events view straight from the lock screen, even if you have the option enabled for the rest of the system.

There are some small good things too:
  • Weather week view in the events view is a nice surprise.
  • The annoying Google Maps zoom in bug (when the map would instead zoom all the way out) was finally fixed!

And then there is the ugly/weird stuff:
  • Cover actions are a big mess, so their removal seems inevitable.
  • I don't understand the unlocking animation when nothing happens, just the clock moves upwards. Why does it move upwards, when I'm unlocking from a side?? The whole animation looks confusing and not responsive, just adding to the double tap delay mentioned earlier. I'd much rather see similar animation to minimizing apps, so I could quickly glance at events or running apps, like I could in Sailfish 1.0.
  • It's good they at least introduced left swipe as an access to events, but you can no longer go to events and then return to the previous app with one swipe. Notice that Sailfish is now the only mobile OS (AFAIK) that cannot go to notifications with one gesture and then return back to the previous app with another gesture. The flow is broken and it will be even more visible once controls are present in the Events view.
  • It's great that menu is now accessible from everywhere, but without those 4 shortcuts on the homescreen, it is actually slower to use from there. What is the "sliding right below your finger" animation good for, when you cannot access anything until it slides all the way up?

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-09-05 at 16:40.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: