View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
It is unfortunate that Council is not giving good direction at this time, [...] It seems as though it is now time for Council to fulfill the duties of their position.
I think Dave's point is longer lived than right now. Managing the maemo.org staff is not the job of the council - we're customers and stakeholders who want "things" done in a timely and open way. By moving to a position where we state our requirements and it's up to the team to organise themselves to deliver them, alongside their internally generated requirements (BAU) and Nokia priorities.

As Dave kick started this, the council was discussing with Niels (X-Fade) the handover of the administration of the sprints to the maemo.org team themselves.

The council, and Nokia, would feed our priorities into that process - and the process would be open for everyone to see as the team split up the tasks, take ownership and deliver them. Volunteers from the community would be able to chip in in either specific areas (and the council can act as a rallying point if needs be) or on whole tasks of interest.

With that, some of the requirements from the Council are, in rough priority order:
  1. Finalise SSO for maemo.org; including Talk account merging.
  2. Bugzilla easier to use (requires upgrade?):
    • Bugzilla style improvements
    • Bugzilla voting improvements ("me too" button?)
  3. maemo.org/packages/ QA improvements for maintainers and testers
  4. Consolidated documentation for developers (see Info Center thread for my thoughts)
  5. Autobuilder auto-optification
  6. Donation framework on maemo.org for authors to accept donations, if they so wish

Items #1 & 2 have no real benefit to a future MeeGo transition, but meet immediate problems. Item #5 may help as appplications are increasingly written with tools like Nokia Qt SDK and we need the auto-builder to improve them.

The others will give experience we can translate to meego.com, and possibly even implementations.

It is important that these concerns be respected so that maemo and MeeGo are properly treated as complementary rather than competing projects. Please allow some time for the issues that you have been raised to be considered by the maemo.org community.
Not that it is the opinion of those like qgil (who know more about the details) that, come November, most people who are current Maemo users will think of themselves as MeeGo users - and be using meego.com rather than maemo.org. Personally, I think that's optimistic on the information we know; but it's something to consider.

(Note that this does not mean that maemo.org will be turned off if it's still providing services to Maemo users)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: