View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Ho, I didn't explained myself correctly... Hamming distance is an abstract mathematical concept, not something you use directly. But it is the theory behind checksums.
And as said, I don't know how btrfs does the recovery in particular, only that this particular sentence was not that off from what I understood.
RAID is not directly related to Btrfs, as he answered a few messages later.
So it looks like to be too technical to be answered in a few messages, so I propose to close this and not hijack any more this thread .
Agreed, let's move on, however I feel I should point out that RAID is directly related because Btrfs is not only a file system but it is also a volume manager. Btrfs checksumming is used to detect errors but then it's the RAID method that does the error correction. The confusion here is whether or not the checksum itself is used for error correction as well as detection. I'd be surprised if the checksum is used for correction because, as we've already established, it can only repair trivial amounts of data. It seems almost pointless when we have other methods for correcting errors. If data integrity is important, use RAID. I'll shut up now.

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
What's the plan then?
Personally, I believe the only long-term solution is to build on top an existing base like Debian or Devuan. Most of the pieces of the puzzle are already in place to make this happen. Backporting packages to Fremantle is an endless task and I don't believe our community has the required manpower to do a good job of this. Take KRACK for example, how long will it be before someone ports wpa_supplicant to Fremantle and adds it to CSSU? In the meantime we all get pwned.

That said, the beauty of our community is that everyone is free to do their own thing. If someone for whatever reason doesn't like the idea of using a Debian/Devuan base and feels they can do a good job of backporting packages in the meantime, by all means go for it. The way I see it is that even if people are working in different directions, most of the work being done will be mutually beneficial for everyone in some way or other.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: