View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I'll point to my acceptance and thoughts as a first pass.

With regards to the questions:

Where do you see maemo.org in 1 year? In 5 years?
In one year? Probably very similar to now. The N9 was announced two years ago today (if you ignore timezones). The Jolla device(s) are coming soon but - with the best will in the world - I suspect their initial impact will be low. It'll grow the community a little, and organically.

Hopefully, we'll be planning the 10 year anniversary of the Nokia 770 to be celebrated in May 2015.

In five years? Who knows. So much has changed in the past five years it's impossible to say. The only person who could probably get elected to the BoD and set out any sort of vision for maemo.org would be Mark Shuttleworth: he's got the resources needed to actually achieve what he sets out to do. (Note, that I think some of the problems with the previous Board has been the chasing of any possible "sugar daddy". The suggestion that maemo.org provided the repositories for Ubuntu Phone was particularly humorous, given Canonical's experience with running large-scale deb-based "stores").

What do see you as the primary role for the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors?
Supporting the Council through experience, continuity and legal assistance.

How do you envision the relationship between the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors and the Hildon Foundation Council/Maemo Community Council?
Collaborative. As the Council has a facilitation role to the community (and people willing to step up and do something get their support); the BoD is there to facilitate and support the Council.

The Council have primacy with matters of the community, IMHO.

Are you able to attend board meetings at least monthly?
Yes.

Do you own a Maemo device? do you (regularly) use a Maemo device? Are you at all interested in Maemo and its community?
I've had less time recently to be involved in following TMO religiously, and the traffic on all the other comm channels has been dying down; but I use one of my N9s daily, with my N900 as a GSM gateway. My N950 is used for development testing. Until recently used an N810 as a GPS unit. My daughter's got an N810 on her desk (with a very natty little Hello Kitty backdrop) and I've previously had an N800 and 770 as well.

As GeneralAntilles mentioned in his nomination of me, I was involved in designing and building the very concept of the Maemo Community Council. The Maemo community feels like home.

What kind of collaboration do you expect to see from Nokia, to ensure survival of the most important assets?
I agree with Ryan, I don't expect anything. Nokia's management team is going in a direction very different to anything related to this community (though it's nice to see Asha OS continuing the visual design of Harmattan). Hopefully we can get in contact with those pushing out Harmattan updates to facilitate wherever possible - and feedback how appreciated it is. I wouldn't hold my breath on any open sourcing, though.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2013-06-24 at 18:37. Reason: Typo

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: