View Single Post
qgil - please check logs from last Council meeting. If Nokia's representative response to SD69 isn't rude, then find a better word for it.

As for rest of Your post - +1, but I would like to highlight, that AFAIK both Nokians and X-Fade is extremely unresponsive during last ~9 months. It took 6 months to make them even *investigate* why one of main Maemo projects - kernel power - can't be promoted properly in repositories... They were literally ignoring every form of communication, that is in scope of Council. Another 2 months to "fix" it, just to have problem re-appearing after single new version upload.

also, AFAIK, there was only 1 meeting between Council members and Nokians (correct me if I'm wrong) during last Council 6 months period, and even that one wasn't finished. SD69 tried to arrange follow-up meeting, yet, he don't get any response, no matter how hard trying.

Lets face it - Nokia *is* paying the bills, but it makes things even worse. When Nokia doesn't respect community (I talk about current state, so "history" isn't of much relevance here), even people that are paid by them doesn't give a s...ingle sign of "I care". Having bills paid isn't any win, if it makes Your hands tied, due to issues with repos, lack of communication with "our Nokia friends", inability to get definite answer even in simplest cases, or - what's even worse - opposite answers depending on who (assigned by Nokia) You're asking (see mess about passing Maemo trademark to community domain).

With all due respect, I think You aren't much involved in current events, if You don't consider it "rude". ruse is lightest word, that can be used here.
---

Despite fact, that all those things are very interesting and - sometimes - important, I would like to not have another "Future of Maemo" thread here - we got already plenty of them with many active participants (yet, when it comes to Council nominations, no one want to metamorphose words into action...).

If You, or anyone else feel that You could help Community - nominate Yourself! If You know someone that is capable, try to convince her/him to nominate. Great visions are OK, but I also hope for more people willing to do dirty, not-very-rewarding (currently) work.

/Estel

// Edit

Jaffa, You were faster I agree that leaving out Council blog wasn't good idea. Yet, after every Council action, there was report in "Ask the Council" thread here on TMO, which was used as main communication channel, during last Council period. I agree, that it's quite messy, to jump from one communication channel to another.

Generally, there were not much to report - writing again and again about "I've tried to contact Nokians on channel x/y/z, waiting for their response...". "I've proposed meeting to Nokians 3 weeks ago, haven't good any response... Re-sending invitation..." "We've been ignored by X-Fade and Nokians for 4 months, sorry guys, can't report any progress on any issue"... Heck, they were not able to give us even basic numbers about bandwidth usage from Maemo infrastructure!

don't get me wrong - I don't accuse Council members (well, SD69 was doing most of dirty work, if not all of it) - they just *don't* have tools in current state of things. IMO, it's time to change that, with or without Nokia support (of course, i prefer first option).

So, if You ask about communication breakdown between Council and Nokia - yes, but definitely from Nokia side. As for breakdown between Council and Community - can't agree, yet I must admit that communication was quite messy (probably, due to frustrating state of things to report...).

Going back to transparency - yes, I agree that it's one of most important things, especially, when considering big changes. After all, no one is planning to do it for group of 5 (?) people, and without supporting Community behind, it's a no-go. From my side, You can be sure, that - if elected - I'll write with details about every thing happening. In fact, you can expect rather *too much* of informing, instead of too less Yet, I can't promise that communication with Nokia will be re-estabilished, as it requires will from both parties.

In any case, I will be very cheerful, if You ensure that voting takes place
---

I'll do a quick-search for mine and SD69 nomination, updating this post after a while.

// edit
I was slower again - thanks for the link!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-02 at 21:41.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: