View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by flailingmonkey View Post
I have started to wonder if Nokia is actually not allowed to assist in these efforts to determine how to manually turn the USB controller to hostmode, due to USB Consortium crap, or if its just due to the bme system being closed-source. Does the partial OTG software implementation in the drivers provide any actual benefits beyond pure peripheral mode? Or is it there because they started work on OTG and realized they couldn't finish it, and reworked that code instead of removing all the OTG-ness.

I have been wondering about literally hacking the bme. basically, the program would not change, and maybe with the magic of LD_PRELOAD and some tracing, we'd fake out the syscalls/library calls it would make (akin to how rootkits hide themselves).
AIUI they simply swapped the USB receptacle (and added a 1k VBUS R to PHY 1707) to get by the OTG cert. The driver isn't exactly from Nokia, but is more like a generic linux driver pushed by maybe mentorgraphics originally.
The whole bme stuff doesn't interfere right now, as we don't want OTG so we don't need the USB driver controlled VBUS ringing (needed for HNP & SRP), and I so far fail to see evidence a "stop bme" neutered bme would conflict with pure hostmode.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: