View Single Post
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
No doubt five council members can't be expected to initiate and manage everything that needs to be done. We need people to lend their skills to the community - volunteer to manage the repos, etc. Council can only address the framework of things.

Perhaps we become the Maemo Foundation or similar. A decision as important as this needs an election. We will have one in about a month or so. The community will decide what it needs to do. A change in organizational structure and role of Council will probably be part of the decision. The community will probably also have to decide its general mission and activities.

For me, I think the mission should be to foster support of maemo-based or derived OSS for cellphones and tablets. The initial focus should be the CSSU and Cordia, but retain flexibility to work with MeeGo project and/or apps.formeego.org if doing so help accomplishes the mission. Hopefully, these things will be debated in the context of the election.
SD69, great post and great summary about what we are going to face in incoming months. It is not simple to explain thoughts in a foreign language, but I'll try it anyway.
My questions are: who are we? What does we want?
I second your opinion that our mission should be
to foster support of maemo-based or derived OSS for cellphones and tablets
If the goal is clear we could have a (little) chance to achieve it, otherwise no way. We already lost some great talented people (qwerty12, smoku...), but we still have lot of them (joerg_rw, shadowjk, mohammadag and many many more). I personally have no skills to steer such a project but I am ready to contribute as much as I can, both from an economical and/or working point of view, and I think this forum consist of a lot of people with some sentiments as mine.
What is needed now is some persons defining the most important steps to take now. If those are persons with a background in people organization and software engineering, better.
It won't be simple, and immediately a lot of questions arise to my mind which I am not able to reply to: deb vs rpm, gtk vs qt, maemo vs meego...
In the end my personal goal is to continue to use electronic gadgets that BELONGS TO ME and not to the corp. that are selling them. I hate to throw away working items, I hate to squander what life and mother Earth gives us, those are my principles, l am not a lemon to squeeze until it has some juice. I for one am very interested in Smoku idea for a "free" tablet also from an HW point of view.
But we cannot forget we live in a real world and compromises are part of that, we cannot live only following ideals.

Every long walk start with a small first step, a lot had already been done, it's time to start walking alone. IMHO We need:
- a name (if Nokia does not resign to every future right on Maemo)
- a goal/goals
- a path
- all of our enthusiasm and skills
- money

Phew!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post: