View Single Post
Intro: I've had N810 for quite a while now so I have lots of background. I also may not be your typical manual reader anyway and so not the target audience. On the other hand there are probably lots of people like me among Maemo 5 users...

How would you rate the current support offering for N900, in your own words?

When I opened the box I did leaf through the get started guide and read it a bit more while letting the device get some charge before booting. It served its purpose and contained some good info. From 1 to 5, 4+.

While I've now flipped through the manual on device, I don't consider reading it seriously enough to rate it.

Is the Get started guide enough?

I would say there is no need for heavy manual in package. You can't carry it around and it gets out of date. What I really would have wanted would have been a separate quicksheet of somesort with shortcuts and browser gestures. This would have been really nice when getting to know the device. It combines much of the stuff you can't figure out yourself and can't bother to browse through the manual for.

Also, while I now remember reading about it, I had forgotten the manual inside the device. The info of "Where to get more info" on a starter manual could be printed on the back cover with large, friendly letters "Don't panic! Full manual can be found at ....". Also an icon in start menu might be in order.

What would an ideal help system be in your opinion?

I think most important feature is the search. If it is not as easy and quick as Google on an internet tablet turned to phone, don't bother.

Still, because M6 will probably be way more mainstream, some sort of quick guide attached to the each of the basic apps would be good I think. Maybe the help framework could have an easy way to continue searching info online. Maemo should be the ideal environment for that.

What would, in your opinion, be a good solution for the community to get involved?

Two things come to my mind. First is some sort of filtered searchable question answer database. Make this available from the help framework and community could create and/or improve the questions and answers.

Second is simply by reviewing manuals if they are made available before hand. It certainly isn't the strong point of most opensource communities, but you could give it a try