View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The greater problem we are facing in my opinion is that although we have hundreds of thousands of well written code, there is not something we can call upstream. There are many branches of software with great potential but a small-time developer does not know what to follow.

The success of the N900 was in part that it supported just about whatever a pc supports. You can write code in C, C++, GTK, Qt Widget, qml, cli python, python-pyside, python-pyQt, python-pyGTK, even php and go.

I would really much like to see a coordinated effort (don't take me wrong, I do not mean that xxx developers move to yyy, no way. Every developer codes whatever he likes) to have a base (mer?) where we take some care to make our code compatible. So the effort going on on cssu can live on e.g. when cordia runs fine on mer. And make sure that nemo apps can run too on it.

For example there is still no e-mail client on nemo. Could modest run as is with the cordia libs even without running a cordia session?

I don't know if I was clear enough and I don't want to start a flame war about what is the correct direction. I just believe that we can have a general direction that runs everything just like Maemo does, but with a newer, and more open base.

This should be on the agenda of the new council, to draw a plan of the future of maemo, and facilitate communication between different teams. As a next step there could be a standardization group who would set up and document some standards that all maemoers can follow.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: