View Single Post
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Ok so I've made the assumption that the MyDocs partition needs reformatted, correct me if I'm wrong.

So to start with at some point a few days ago, my N9 started acting up, I think It may be from pulling out the USB cable while transferring files as I have a bad habit of grabbing my phone on impulse when I leave my comp, anyhow Initially I noticed that I couldn't remove a specific folder within the Documents directory, a folder that was involved when I pulled USB cable, well big deal I was planning on re flashing and starting again soon any ways. I think the thing that threw me was that at that stage I could still transfer files to and from my MyDocs partition.
Still having not flashed the device, I found that when trying to download files from the browser, it would come up with some strange message along the lines of: "unable to download files, device storage may be in use, please reboot and try again" and another line mentioning "device storage isn’t functioning properly".
It was a unusually long message anyway and I can't reproduce it at this stage.

Now upon flashing with:
Code:
flasher -f -F main.bin --erase-user-data=secure
Which went as usual flash, no errors or anything, I found that now I cant even access the MyDocs partition, well I can open the MyDocs folder via filebox and the terminal, but its empty and I cant create a directory or anything, it says the directory is read only.

So then I try connecting the phone to my PC and now windows tells me:
you need to format the disk in drive I: before you can use it, do you want to format it?

So at this stage I choose cancel, It's worth noting that I can download apps, and the N9 functions normally except that I cant access my 58GB of free storage.
Now hen I remove the usb cable from, the N9 pops up with "can't access user data".

I’m certain that my partition was corrupted all along and I had just failed to diagnose the early symptoms.

How on earth can I reformat the partition to Vfat? in partition manager (win7) it only offers me exFat or NTFS, on gParted (Ubuntu) I have more options but no Vfat, what am I missing here, Is Vfat really just fat32? Am I safe just formatting to say Fat32 Do I have to name it MyDocs? Nokia N9? Ideally I'd just have it go back to factory default.

I'm a bit uncomfortable reformatting it with third party software after I read about some issues people had trying to flash their phones with edited partition sizes, I didn't change my partitions but some software could use the wrong start point etc.

If this was a simple usb stick I wouldn't give a rats on the details, I'd just format the f'er, but then I wonder should I just treat the partition like it is that simple for the format purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to HanzBlix For This Useful Post: