View Single Post
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
After digging through penguinbait's blog, I found this.

Again, probably not what you're looking for, but it's a start.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Alternative desktops
In addition to the officially supported Hildon environment that comes standard on the tablets, several alternate desktop systems are available. Penguinbait, a member of the Internet Tablet Talk community, has successfully ported KDE 3, Openbox, and XFCE to the N800 and N810 (the 770 is able to run an early version of the KDE port). KDE 4 is being ported at the present time. LXDE is the default desktop for the "Easy Debian" distribution, which is installed as a single application under Maemo, but provides access to the full range of software in the ARM Debian distribution via a chroot environment.
Although I can't find anything on his download page other than KDE 3.5.8.

EDIT: Here's XFCE. Not quite LXDE, but it looks fine.

EDIT 2: Here's OpenBox + ROX.

EDIT 3: Here's KDE 4.

Just remember that all of the above (with the exception of penguinbait's own experiment in the first link) are designed for pre-Fremantle releases of Maemo.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-18 at 13:25.