View Single Post
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Riga, Latvia
Here's my "lost all contacts and messages" story. Happened to me twice, about four months ago, and today.

I'm not sure what was the cause for the first time, but I had "lost" all my library and phone app showed numbers instead of contact names (I don't remember whether the contacts themselves were gone). Luckily I was clever enough not to reboot, and to RTFM (if it counts as such):

Code:
$ tracker-control --help-all
It turned out that there is an option to backup/restore tracker databases, so I made a backup just in case something goes wrong, and did a hard reset followed by restore (I think there was a reboot somewhere in the middle, but I'm not sure):

Code:
$ tracker-control -b tracker.backup
$ tracker-control --hard-reset
$ tracker-control -o tracker.backup
I was a bit worried that the restore would bring back the mess it was before the reset, but for some reason it worked just fine.

Today things didn't go that well. The messages app got stuck on sending an SMS (which was already delivered) and wouldn't let me see any follow ups. I wonder if that was due to some kind of tracker fsckup or the other way around. Anyway, I thought why don't I try to turn it off and on again, which I think was my mistake. When the phone came back on, it had lost all contacts, messages and whatnot else. Deleting ~/.cache/tracker/meta.db-wal didn't help, and neither did soft nor hard reset.

Luckily I still had my old tracker backup around, so I got most of my contacts back. Of course I lost four months of call history and messages, but it's not that bad compared to losing all contacts.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunc For This Useful Post: