View Single Post
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Well, the Palm native SDK has been released today, and yes, it is indeed a codesourcery toolchain + a patched SDL for OpenGL ES support (not unlike the SDL_gles extensions I released a few days ago to extras-devel...)
Instead of, say,
Code:
SDL_GLES_Init(SDL_GLES_VERSION_2_0)
(like on SDL_gles) a Palm native SDK developer would have to
Code:
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION, 2);
. I could change my extension to resemble that easily... (rest is mostly the same).
  • Keyboard events go through the usual way.
  • Single finger touchscreen events are sent via mouse events (like on the N900), multi finger touchscreen events are sent via "multiple mice" events.
  • Gestures in the gesture area via virtual keyboard events.
  • Accelerometer is read via the sdl joystick interface (like on the N900 with accelemymote).
  • Sound is handled via the Pulseaudio SDL driver (and SDL_mixer) -- like on the N900.
  • They have written a very simple SDL binding for some media player framework (gstreamer, I suppose): SDL_cinema. The wrapper is very simple (too much IMO).
  • They have a new SDL event type for their OS stuff, like the above library's end-of-stream event.
  • They also have an extra library for OS stuff: preventing the screen autodimming (Nokia has this already in hildon-games-wrapper), changing/detecting the device orientation, enabling the gesture area, their own equivalent of Maemo's liblocation, etc.
So, source compatibility can be attained with a few one-line preprocessor macros . Let's see about binary compatibility.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-10 at 02:05. Reason: added info about accelerometer

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: