View Single Post
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
A fair point. One plug for tags: they (as opposed to categories) give thread creators the option of specifying more than one. Do we need/want that? If I recall correctly, there are cases of apps written for OS2007 that work in OS2008 without modification--perhaps those threads could have two OS tags. Also, IIUC, Mer and Fremantle are highly compatible, but not 100%. For example, some Fremantle software will take advantage of N900-specific hardware like the accelerometer. Also, right now, applications for Mer (like Tear) need to be put in a Mer repository. I'm not aware that Mer is officially pulling from the Fremantle repository yet, although perhaps that is on the near horizon. So I'm not sure if this is a good argument or not.
This is actually a very good point... and Mer is most certainly a great example of how dynamic this community is. Mer currently is nothing but a bastardized step-child somewhat related by a binary-or-two to the current Maemo 5 (ok, maybe not that bad, but its no where near complete, in my understanding.)

Eventually compatibility is the goal.. however I am highly doubtful that it will ever be 100%. But depending on how close it gets it may or may not be worth having it's own sub-forum. (which is why I listed it as optional.)

Also note, however, that in my solution I don't necessarily say we can't use tags, or to remove them. Tags are fine for a more granular search if someone chooses - because tags can include information not OS or Software specific. You can tag an application as "mp4,xvid,h.264" for example to specifically say your app adds these capabilities. However, we wouldn't make a sub-forum for every different codec a media app might provide.

And I had already put in my "known problems" that apps that apply to two different OS's would be a problem. Unfortunately, I just don't think we'll ever address *every* problem possible; and it is my personal opinion there would be less bleed from one category/OS to another, as bundling everything into one category, and relying solely on tags would be confusing to new-comers. A solution that addresses both these problems is definitely appreciated.

Dak and Fargus also have very good points about design and layout. I utterly fail at both, or I would try to add something into my solution about it. I recommend someone that can draw better than me (read: if you can draw a stig figure: you're better than me ) to go and post a solution to try and address this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: