View Single Post
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I am not talking about the application itself, but for users data. 500mb should be enough for all users EZlists for example, or for all data for a contact sync app. Cloud apps that offer file storage already exist and are out of the scope of this proposal exactly for the reason you mentioned (funding).

Very few apps need cloud storage, maybe less than 10 for each platform. So allocating a total of 5gb to this purpose shouldn't be a real problem. If later on more apps need cloud space we could put a payment system and ask a small contribution from the users of those apps.
platforms? i assume Fremantle & Harmattan (?) => 2
10 apps per platform => 20 apps
5GB to be shared between 20 apps => 256MB per app
EasyList mentions 100 user => 2.5MB per user per app
didn't really bother looking into what EasyList was all about, but had the impression it's a shopping list sort of thing (?)
doesn't really matter as with 10 apps, one can't limit the scope or nature, right?
2.5MB seems more then enough for a few shopping lists, indeed.
way too much, in fact.
would it make sense to allocate the space by user (qwazix, misterc aso.) rather then per app, so that the space that isn't used for one app could be saved for an other?

anyway, if encryption isn't mandatory, no need to count me in
sure our Polish friend will fret at how again i'm only talking but not doing

in fact, if encryption is only optional, you probably cause more harm to Maemo by all those "mainstream" publishers (which, like mobilegizmo's or the like think that m$ coming to mobile (like they haven't been here for over a decade ¦-) is the best that ever happened to the mobile world ) an easy feast, like
«look how ridiculous Maemo / NOKIA / Open Source / expand !m$ list to heart's disgust... offer a cloud service... UNENCRYPTED (ROFL)»

not a good idea

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post: