View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Those countless projects you mention, that were abandoned; if the code exists they are not dead, someone could continue if she deemed it useful.
What did I say? "Yes, but, free, someone else, bla bla bla"

It is a lofty ideal but not that common in practice. What good is it to me that someone could continue if nobody does? For any useful purpose, an abandoned project is dead.

You could do it yourself if you really needed the said application but it seems to me you don't need it badly enough...
That is a silly argument that smacks of ideology. I did not build my own house or grow my own food even though neither of the two are particularly difficult. Does it mean I did not need them enough? Sure, when a zombie apocalypse comes and I face starvation, I will grow my own food. But that means I will not be able to do many other things I am able to do now. We cannot all do all things. There are many reasons for that: lack of time, lack of skills... or simply because someone else may do a better job of it whilst I may make a better job of something else, to a mutual benefit.

Besides, when I say "no one picks up the code and keeps it alive", I mean literally "no one", including myself. You may say that I thus contribute to its death and I do not deny it. All I am saying is that the "FOSS code never dies" claim is false. Who or what has caused the death is irrelevant.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: