View Single Post
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
It's very frustrating when Nokia said software support for Symbian and Meego would continue until 2016. How hard is it to push us updated map information? Honestly?

I bounce back and forth between admiring Nokia and their products and then hating them, and right now it's the latter. Once Sailfish is ready to install on Android, I'll be picking up a compatible handset and retiring my N9.
We all are. The question is which Nokia, Nokia Devices and Services (now Microsoft Mobile), the one owned by Microsoft now. That should provide support to the Nokia phones, but then Here Maps (or the Nokia Maps) does not come under Microsoft. It is owned by Nokia Corporations. Therefore you should not expect any updates.

But, as I read somewhere, you are getting the Map updates on N9 because Here agreed to provide the updates as part of the acquisition until 2016 to all Microsoft Mobile owned devices. That includes the Lumia phones, N9, X-series phones, Asha and Symbian phones. You won't be seeing the Map apps on Lumia devices after that pre-installed. And after that it is upto Nokia to decide whether to give any support to Symbian and MeeGo. And sadly, I don't believe they will. Because no one does after an OS goes defunct.

The Following User Says Thank You to princefakhan For This Useful Post: