View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
USB card readers? HW devices? Generate 'the' code? What the...? I do online banking with three banks and none of them has any of that crap. You need three things, most commonly 1) username or login ID, 2) password and 3) some kind of secondary authentication code that you specify when you register. None of that changes in real time. You can change 2) and 3), sometimes 1) in your preferences. You can log in from any browser anywhere in the world, no proprietary app necessary.
Hee, seems you in da UK-land have pretty different concept of banking than what we are used to here in the north... Are you still using checkques?

What we in Finland are using is pretty much how @kinggo explained, except that luckily we can also still use the old method of TAN slip codes. (Lucky for me since otherwice I'd be as pissed as my Swedish colleagues who only can generate codes via Androd devices...)

A TAN slip is a piece of paper that your bank mails to you, it contains a list of usually 100 or 250 one-time codes to use with banking.
In addition to that you of course need the account number and password.

The problem is that also the finnish banks would like to move to the Android-App-created BankId system, because it is cheaper to them than mailing the new TAN slip to people few times per year.
I am fearing that day with dread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: