View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
My only complaint is that darn one-line keyboard. I just can't figure it out!
Yeah, that one-line keyboard is my little "thing", it probably is quite confusing if you are someone ... who isn't me .

If you hit the "^1" key, the numbers turn into letters;

First, I chose the letters I use most often combined with "Ctrl" on the desktop. "Ctrl-z" is "undo", "Ctrl-x" is "Cut", "Ctrl-c" is "Copy", "Ctrl-v" is "Paste", "Ctrl-s" is "Save", "Ctrl-q" is "Quit", "Ctrl-w" is "Write" (or Save).

Then I put a letter I use by itself; "y" for "yes". This seems to come up a lot in the terminal.

As for "i" and "p", they're less-often used Ctrl combinations ("Ctrl-i" is used in vi for "insert" and "Ctrl-p" has several uses, including "Print"...)

If you manage to figure out how to get "Shift" and "^2" to work (it seems to involve hitting "Shift" then "^2" then "Shift" again), you get some punctuation and some other characters that come in handy.

If someone else can make a better one-line keyboard, please do! It is very simple; you edit the /home/user/.matchbox/keyboard-mini.xml, save the file, and toggle the keyboard on to test your changes. When you have a layout that you like, please post it here!

Also, I will gladly include keyboards with international layouts. There are a few examples around, but I don't have the patience or the experience to test them. If you get a keyboard layout that works for you, post it here and I'll bundle it with the next version.