View Single Post
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
I could not have said it better. I got the N800 two weeks ago and have decided it must go back to Nokia. I feel the hardware is good but the software/operating sysetem was an after thought. Maybe Nokia hopes the open source communty will bring it up to par, if that's the case than lower the price or give the customer more bang for the buck. Examples would be discount on wireless service, free upgrade for a better carrying case, discount on memory upgrades etc, Nokia don't profit off the communty's work!
Looks like I have misspoken on the part about Nokia and it's relation with the open source communty, here is part of a review from RogerS's review posted under General Discussions > News:

".....Strategically, Nokia opted to enlist and encourage the Linux community. Again, maybe their experience with a non-desktop Linux proved lucky, but as far as possible they have chosen to go mainstream. That means not just using Linux, but building Linux up for everyone else. Seeding the developer community with devices is good, but who remembers that the 50,000 euros collected from the initial developer device sales went to the Gnome Foundation, not to Nokia? Nokia has paid Linux developers and contributed code. They're good citizens.

So Linux on the internet tablet isn't free. But Nokia is getting the most bang for its OS buck this way, which previous Linux-y tablets failed to do.

And does this mean that there will be non-Nokia tablets running Maemo in future, with Nokia getting not one penny in royalties? Yes, I expect so. That's the way it works." Glad to hear that! Man was I wrong.