Thread: GP2X Pandora
View Single Post
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
LordFu,

I wonder what sorts of non-game software it will have... anything lined up?

productivity stuff?
PIM stuff?
connectivity stuff (ssh, vnc, etc.)?
communications stuff (instant messengers)?

I think it might have been cool to see it done as a trifold (so that the keyboard isn't so close to the game controls, looks like you could accidentally type keys while playing with the analog sticks)... or as a twist screen (to use it as a tablet). But it does look like a nice design as it is.
Well, whatever people are willing to port or design themselves will be available. I don't mean to be vague, but the sky is really the limit, I think.

They're talking about trying to stay compatible with the Debian arm-el (sp?) .deb's, which would make a lot of stuff available without any work. They've got some real linux gurus over there. Some of these guys coded a new GP2X firmware from scratch, which I consider pretty impressive.

Some people have suggested porting Maemo, which I think is a great idea, as I'm pretty fond of Maemo, myself. I think a KDE port is pretty likely, too. I'm really looking forward to what the community can come up with. There are some seriously talented guys in the community.