View Single Post
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Keene NH USA
sjgadsby: i didnt deliberately disable metalayer-crawler. i may have stated earlier that i used penguinbait's console tools to partion my 8gb internal and 16gb external. it was after this that i noticed that media player was not updating the library.

after reading what you wrote. i rebooted from flash...opened media player and it DID update and load the library from both of my mmc. this took about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes as i had 1015 music files in a folder i got from my daughter.

i then rebooted to the clone, opened media player but it did NOT update.

i did a search of ITT for metalayer-crawler and found a thread where someone told another person how to restart metalayer. i am just learning this stuf but i used roxterm and entered /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 restart

sure enough it started to update the library but it was going so incredibly slow that i took turns inserting the term "stop" and "start" in place of "restart" and then i seized things up by opening maemopad to write this code snippet in (that is how i keep useful bits of code to teach myself this stuff)

i rebooted to clone, opened media player and did the restart thing for metalayer-crawler and it DID update the library but it took a loooong time.....like around 20 minutes.

everything worked fine in media player....so onto the next test.

i shut down then restarted in clone and again......no files and no library refresh in media player. i opened roxterm and ran the restart code and it seems to be refreshing the library as i type this. after 5 minutes...it is up to 240 of the 1015 songs.

so what next?

should i be glad that it isnt running in a loop and using battery up? or could it be?

is there a way i can get it back to scanning automatically? and what could be making it take so long compared to when i turn on media player in flash boot?

also...once it is done refreshing the library...does it shut itself off? or do i have to use a stop command for metalayer-crawler to be sure it isnt running in the background?

13 minutes and it has catalogued 624 songs.....a little less than 400 to go

okay...it JUST got done....and it took 20 minutes. any clue on the length of time? canola and kagu do the same thing in moments....as does media player if i boot from flash

*** a test, i have used a few apps.....used media player...closed media player....done a few more tasks with various apps......and used media player again. so i guess if i leave my tablet powered up, it will keep the songs in the library.

any input on how i can get it back to working normally? and is there a way i can make sure the process isnt using battery?