View Single Post
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I have to admit, I don't really understand this point of view; the selling point of a "smart" TV is that it does the work of integrating computing ability into the television viewing experience for you.
My "point of view" is totally unrelated to anything 'smart'. Even 'dumb' TVs are subject to these types of problem these days.

My point of view is artificial restrictions. It's one thing if you didn't provide a feature the customer wants; it's an entirely different thing if you actively fight customers trying to make use of the hardware.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
through speakers connected to my PC.
And remarks like this are the best examples of what's bad when vendors apply these limitations. My TV has a fine set of speakers that will basically have to go unused because of this anti-tinkering policy, and I will be forced to either throw away a perfectly working TV set or buy an additional set of speakers, with its additional AC adapter increasing total vampire power consumption.

Many people buy Raspberry Pi to use as mediacenters when it's quite probable their 'dumb' TVs have processors that rival in performance with the Pi. Not only this is terribly wasteful; I'm also quite sure vendors are already counting down to the day when they remove all video inputs (same as LG's doing with the headphone output, so that you're forced to buy _their_ bluetooth headsets and speakers).