View Single Post
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Does your job also include finishing a project because I haven't seen much of that?

Along those lines, since you say that MeeGo in your personal opinion has most future does that mean that Nokia is supporting Mer and if not then why is Mer being worked on if MeeGo in your opinion is a more plausible OS option?

I'm sorry to sound 'bitter' but honestly the lack of focus ('Mer for N8xx', 'No wait, we're also doing Mer for N900', 'No wait Mer is dead now it's Mer2 that will come', 'Oh wait. no MeeGo on N8xx is better') is indeed rather tiring and has become one huge disappointment.

If your job, as you mention above, is to start development of things in the community I think you've done that. But if you going forward expect people to beta test, etc you might also want to think about sticking to a project.
While I understand the point you're making here, you have to understand that there has been a lot of churn and change that has forced plans (not just Mer, everywhere) to change in very big ways over time. MeeGo's very existence changes a lot of things, at least as far as I'm concerned, because it addresses a lot of the same problems Mer set out to accomplish (such as easier porting to devices).

And it's not just limited to new tech/etc introducing changes, just *doing* some of this stuff teaches lessons that force plans and other things to change in order to remain relevant and realistic. While I wasn't actively around for the earlier days of Mer, I've enjoyed watching it - and the people involved with it - evolve to meet the challenges of the growing requirements.

So no. It hasn't -yet- produced something of shipping quality, but I don't think there's been a better road to go along to learn how to get things done, and I remain hopeful that MeeGo will help to produce a stable and productive base platform for use on a wide variety of devices, including older NITs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post: