Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
1. The current speed is displayed halfed on xa2. Going 40 shows 20 Km/h and so on.
I would suggest to check using GPSInfo and if its the same for it, report the issue @TJC

2. The road signs showing the next exit are very nice already, bravo.
2a. Only the german translation for "exit" is hilariously wrong atm. Currently "Beenden XX" means "Quit XX". "Exit XX from current Road" would be "Ausfahrt XX".
2b. But the exit/ausfahrt numbers are not commonly used here anyway. Many (early&mixed) signs are even missing them.
Propably leading to confusion when the first info we give on the sign is not there in real world?
I propose to move the first line "Exit XX" to the bottom of the sign below the actual destination city names.
2c. Also the word "Ausfahrt" is never written out on german signs. It is indicated by a white number with white circle around it on the bottom of the sign as the word Ausfahrt is very clunky and long i guess. So no need to give away screen estate for a word even german officials do not use imo.
2d. All Caps is not necessary for the city names on the sign. It increases character spacing and does not resemble the real life signs. I would advise to remove allcaps and increase the font weight to compensate for better readability.
2a - please correct at https://www.transifex.com/rinigus/osm-scout-server (may require some registration).

2b. exit numbers are used in other places though and are the first ones on the sign (https://www.mapbox.com/mapping/mappi...ination-signs/ , used in EU as well, depending on country). => no move

2c. "Exit" is not written in (at least some) other places either. But showing plain number is maybe not the best solution either.

2d. City names are usually on street signs ALL CAPS. Hence the same on Pure Maps.

3. UX wise, (reflecting my expectations when moving from Waze/Here/Sygic to Pure Maps)
3a. Always center on current position when Pure Maps starts. Currently the map is centered around the last known position and a tap on the top right "center" button is required to move the view to current position. It would be nice if the map view would resemble the actual current position always and as soon as it is known.
3b. The "Follow me" function should not be an option to select but be standard on app start and always on if no route exists or the user does not manually drag or pinch the map. Removing the necessity for that settings option completely.
3b. Colors of the position marker (Blue circles) and the route (blue track) are too similar and sometimes look slightly messed up. Maybe change the position marker to black or something funky, ad some drop shadow to it or use a 3d modeled one as soon as a route is displayed? (I could gladly help with designing one if you explain the constraints)
3c. The "Navigation" menue option/page should contain a list of past destinations, currently you have to tap the "to" field for them.
3d. The "to" field in navigation page should be the search field you get when now taping it.
3e. For the end user it is hard to understand why the search results in navigation and search page differ. When using the search in navigation page (Stadia Maps?) i hardly ever get a result for my (maybe to lax) keywords. The exact keywords in search page (using OpenCage?) however reliably give a matching proposal. Either explain to the user how to use the search or better move to the most reliable search engine allover.
3a. that's tricky - GPS takes some time and the question is whether to move when its fixed. I presume if the user hasn't touched anything on a map, moving is warranted. Otherwise, it will be annoying if its in the middle of something.

3b. Follow me has few implications which result in the requirement of being able to switch it on or off. In this mode, device is kept alive and screen is on. In addition, map GUI elements are zoomed to account for having a device on a holder in a car, for example. So, it has to by controllable (start/stop) by the user. Same is in Google Maps, HERE I haven't checked. Now it shouldn't be that hidden either, but it will probably have to be kept in mind during redesign.

3b(2). Agreed. Corresponding issue was filed already https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/14 . I added "gui redisign" label to it.

3c. Filed https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/106

3d. Would have to think about it. It can easily get too messy. In general, would probably be OK to get from typing to "To" to the full blown search page where you could actually select the target with coordinates.

3e. If we have objects (search results) as To/From, we will not get this discrepancy. At present, routers run searches using "default" gecoders. For OSM Scout, its OSM Scout Server. For others, something that was defined as default.

Now, in terms of geocoders. I would like to know if anyone is using Photon as a geocoder. If not, I'd suggest to try and report back. Photon supports search-as-you-type and should also allow to bias results towards some location.

If the response is positive, we could change the default to Photon. I do wonder why OpenCage was selected as a default - maybe it does have a better performance.

@mosen - thank you very much for the analysis and feedback!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: