View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
It seems rather unfair to compare an OS that's currently being sold on and for new devices to a community effort that got rid of the proprietary parts (because you can't develop those any further) of an OS for which development stopped seven years ago. Obviously, ajalkane was not talking about the latter, but about Maemo when it was still being developed by Nokia, before the community took over and made it better. If you want to compare Maemo 7 to anything, it should be Nemo Mobile. Hey, it doesn't have any proprietary parts!
I'm not trying to start a debate on which OS is more open. It sounded to me like ajalkane wasn't 100% aware of the latest Maemo developments which is why I posted. endsormeans mentioned several times in this thread his intention to run Maemo Leste on his Nexus 5 (no mention of Fremantle), so fair comparison or not, to me it seemed to be the most relevant one.

I think you'll find that Nemo Mobile uses the same proprietary parts that Maemo Leste uses on similar devices. Here you can find the SGX blobs:

https://github.com/nemomobile/ti-omap3-sgx

I wasn't able to find the Intel Wi-Fi firmware on Nemo Mobile's GitHub but I assume they are using this too, otherwise I'd love to know how they got it working on devices like the N900, N9 and N950.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2018-06-02 at 17:34.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: