View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
So, after reading the above success stories I decided that, as a good starting point for 2015, I would install CSSU thumb on my primary device.
Good man!

I'm at a point where apt-get upgrade doesn't want to do anything (good), but the meta-package mp-fremantle-community-pr is not installed.
You are going to get some kind of troubles if you messed with your preinstalled packages like, for example, in this thread. I would expect a man of your calibre to know how to deal with it

BTW, isn't apt-get upgrade supposed to be discouraged? I must say I've never used in myself on my N900.

If I wanted to install it (which I don't), I would get:
busybox-symlinks-procps (wants to remove procps, so no way).
community-ssu-enabler (I guess this is the "icon" referred to above)
hildon-welcome (don't want it)
libcpaboutcssu (what's this?)
libqt4-* (unnecessary packages unless something depends on them)
maemo-optify-runonce (be gone, and stay there forever)
modest-home-applet (don't want it)
pulseaudio-esound-compat (don't want it)
qtm-maemo-metapackage (as long as noone depends on it, I don't want it).
Fully agree with all of the above. You are right, community-ssu-enabler is the icon and should go away after a successful installation (the package remains though). The libcpaboutcssu package is what displays the CSSU version info in Settings. I don't have them either and can live quite happily without them.

The only negative effect possibly directly linked to CSSU is that my first alarm this morning stopped after a second or two without me having touched the stop or snooze button. I had experienced this in the past, but not for a long time. I'll keep an eye on it though.
Can't say I've ever experienced that one. Missed alarms - yes. Though not for a VERY long time. Alarms that started and stopped/snoozed on their own - never.

Oh, and for the rotation I had to enable the accelerometer module which I had disabled in MCE a long time ago. Now my desktop rotates. I have to learn how to deactivate that
Install status-area-orientationlock-applet. This will add an entry to your system menu. Use it to lock your phone in landscape. Uninstall status-area-orientationlock-applet. Job done.

If you want to lock in portrait, tough luck. But why on earth would you want to do that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: