View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
How close did you get?
Looks like ~1m, while the snake seems to have noticed you and is moving toward you. I don't think I'd've had the guts to do take that picture.
I went down on my knees and maybe about 70cm towards the snake. (this variety by the way is called "Kyy" in Finnish)

It would have been easier but I was on my daily run and I had my dog with me which I held by a very short leash behind my back with one hand while trying to get a good shot with the other hand. All the while Dora the dog was trying to nose up closer to the snake barking... difficult. I think the poor viper was really disturbed by us and I tried to make it quick in order not to shock her too much.

Kyys are really very peaceful and nice animals, so I had no need to fear her really... if one bites you it sure stings like hell but is no concern really; last summer I was stung by a wasp in my eye and boy that one hurt for a long time!

Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Is rantakäärme (beach snake) one of them? I'm pretty sure we have seen them a few times in Helsinki/Lauttasaari, both in the water and on the beach.
Yes, the other varieties are Rantakäärme and Tarhakäärme; both are more rare than Kyykäärme and non-poisonous. Very easy to tell apart from each other too, however many people don't know the difference but try to kill "the horrible snakes".
In reality all snakes are protected and should not be harrassed but people just fear them out of no reason, some even dislike Sisilisko which are really beautiful small lizards.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: