View Single Post
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Hello everybody! I'm back. I see the is more than a year since my last post here. In this time i went through an awful lot of phones: htc x9500 tablet\umpc(i still have it, is a device unique in the world), iphone 4, smsung galaxy s3- none of these phones are so open and feature-complete phones. None have fm-transmitter, qwerty keyboard, infrared port. Except the htc x9500, the other two are nowhere near n900 (from my point of view).
So back in 2012 i exchanged my nokia n900 for the htc x9500(shift) - innitialy i could not make phone calls with it, but then i liberated the windows mobile rom, and now it is a fully functional windows mobile 6.1 device - for the pda side. I said it is a device unique in the world because it runs two operating system at the same time. Winmo for the pda\phone side and any other x86 OS in the pc/laptop side. I have now linux ubuntu, win xp, win 7, meego x86 in the pc side (forgot to say i bought an 120 gb hdd for it, stock one is only 40gb) . However the 7inch screen and 800 grams! makes it quite hard to carry in the pocket ).
Back to n900-(no point to mention about iphone or galaxy becase i did not liked those)-I bought a new one this time- price have dropped a lot since the last time i checked.
And started from flasing to install everythig i needded.
One interesting fact is that reflashing did not work from pc (maybe win7 x64 was the problem), nor the laptop, so i flashed it from htc x9500, but vanilla did not flash properly- it reached 20% and then flasher closed. the FIASCO flashed completly, but when i turned on the phone, the two default videos and all default images were corrupted and could not open them, everything else was ok.
So continued with gparted to repartition memory, 10 gb for apps, rest for files (mydocs). next step kernel power (i see v51 is the latest stable), next nitdroid, next apps needed.
I see last time i promised a detailed guide- from newbie to power user
As soon as i am done installing my apps i will make the guide.