View Single Post
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Or maybe defining formally this scope is actually not needed and this community can evolve through ad hoc steps?
Dunno if we need anything formal but the intro page could use an update in any case.

This discussion actually got me thinking why we founded devaamo [1] after the meego thing went south. Before that happened we had a pretty good thing going on. We arranged meetups with technical presentations, visited like minded people, organized meego summit fi and so on. So after meego's demise was clear we had a open for all meeting and discussed about whether we wanted to continue arranging meetups and other events and more importantly what should we focus on. We basically found out that we are interested in lots of things but nothing that could be the main focus. So we decided that Devaamo was to be something that makes possible for open source developers, open hw enthustiasts and such people to do their thing and organise meetups and whatnot under the devaamo umbrella. To me maemo.org feels pretty much the same. It's something that makes possible the different things that are happening here (app/platform development, general gadget discussions, hacking and so on).

I hope that made at least some sense. it's the short-short version of the story I've been meaning to write a blog post about the origins of Devaamo (how I saw it) but that's still on my todo list.

[1] http://devaamo.fi/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post: