View Single Post
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I find a bit of irony in the concept that Fremantle users claiming their OS is "better" is considered non-acceptance. Especially when less than a year ago the hostilities (which you now see as non-acceptance) arose mainly from the same claims in the opposite direction. Though I have to say, I've not really seen anyone making the claim that Fremantle is better than Harmattan.
Any hostility in any direction is wrong. I am speaking for a general idea here and using Harmattan as an example. The overarching idea is we need to be willing to accept everyone.

That's a bit extreme. You're talking about not just a different device, but a totally different mind set. It's like asking how a mini owner would feel showing his car at a monster-truck car show. Sure, it's all cars to an outsider; but the communities are too diverse to co-exist pleasantly, as their mentalities tend to be polar opposites.
Some new users of the N9 are former Iphone users, I'm sure some users here still carry an Iphone. I personally carry a 4s why because it serves a function that neither my N9/N950 nor my N900 can. We need to be willing to be accepting of any mindset that comes here. This is what will help maemo.org succeed and stay relevant for the future.

You can only expand a group so much before the lack of a unified direction causes disharmony and breaks the community apart. I'm not saying you can never add anything; but throwing the barn doors open and trying to pull in everyone isn't an answer either. (You can do that, but then you turn into Gizmodo.) In order to have a stable community, we need groups/devices will fit well and have similar goals and ideologies to the existing group. Most of the other groups that have been brought up in this thread (Mer/Nemo, Tizen, Spark/Vivaldi, etc) have similar qualities. iPhone does not.
I'm not saying we should tell everyone to come, I am saying we should be welcoming to all, but be willing to focus on specific groups that we can cater to. You said Mer/Nemo, Tizen, Spark/Vivaldi, all of these I agree with.

I'm really curious where the un-welcome feeling comes from in the Harmattan camp. Where are you seeing people saying "Harmattan sucks", or looking down on Harmattan in this forum? I don't think anyone here has that attitude; or if they do, they have the same attitude against all the devices in this forum (ie they're trolls).
Numerous times throughout my time on tmo have I see N900 is better, or N900 can do this or Fremantle is the only true system. It has died down because of windows phone arguments, but it did exist at one point.

Most of the "hostility" that gets brought up was not toward Harmattan, but early MeeGo. And as most Harmattan and MeeGo folks will tell you, they are not the same thing at all.
This we can agree on.

That was frankly caused in part by Nokia, in setting up a separate home for MeeGo and inadvertently amplifying the "us vs them" cycle that commonly happens with hardware shifts. There were smaller waves between the N*00 releases, but it all got ironed out because we shared resources and a very similar code base.
We still share similar resources and a very similar code base, more than any other operating system out there.

Having a small handful of active MeeGo developers show up in the forums bad mouthing Maemo didn't help. It also didn't help when the same group actively discouraged individuals and vendors from developing for Maemo because it was "a dead end", recruiting them to instead to come over to the new MeeGo home to work on "something with a real future". Nothing causes distrust among communities like one side trying to poison the well.
I fully agree with you. Ironically all of those MeeGo developers are nowhere to be found now. So it is our responsibility to help rebuild our community now. To the best of our abilities.

Even with that rocky history, Maemo and MeeGo are still family, and have slowly started to work together. There are Mer/Nemo threads here on TMO, and active discussions about aiming at setting up unified platforms, both forum-wise and OBS-wise, which I hope to see continued by the next Council.
Yes, hopefully we are both part of the next council, so we can help maemo.org flourish.

To be frank: I think a lot of this "we're unwelcome here" talk is (IMHO) based mainly on topics that have been settled and moved past for the most part. The main thing stopping Harmattan users from coming here is Harmattan users, not how forum members react or behave toward them. When formeego.com goes dark (which is happening soon AFAIK), the lights here will be on and a welcome mat will be at the front door. Whether Harmattan users come in and join those already here, or go off to form their own home will be more up to them than anything we do here.
As long as we keep a welcome mat available, I see no argument, or discouragement at all and we can move forward with an idea or direction for the community if the council chooses that to be something they want to pursue.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post: