View Single Post
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
The packaging bit is a non-issue. IMO rpm packaging is a lot easier to do and learn than deb. Besides if/when we move to using the community obs for building stuff it makes it pretty trivial to build both rpm and deb packages from the same source package. I'd call that a win-win.

As with pretty much everything in software developement it's a matter of one's willingness to adapt and learn new stuff.
Sorry, but I answer with a quote of mine:

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
And while some may claim that "small transitions" may be "easy" it is still additional effort. Effort that costs time that many "occasional" developers, like me, coding in their scarce spare time, simply don't have. I even often do not agree that transitions were so "small" a UI, e.g., may easily grow complex and needs to be thoroughly tested.
I am not talking about not being willing to learn. It's just if there is a change there is always effort involved to follow/adapt to that change.
Effort that either could be invested otherwise in developing some new, innovative software. Thus, resulting in some possibly nice app not being written or written with some delay.
Or on the other side effort that will not be made in favor of writing said "new app", and thus result in old apps not being "ported" or ported late.
This conflict in interest could be avoided at all by maintaining consistency. And possible result in more, better quality apps in the long term.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post: